MAHALO TO ALL OF YOU WHO SUPPORTED THE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO CAME TO THE CAPITOL TO RALLY TO DECLARE "LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE" ON MARRIAGE
Message to HFA Supporters October 29, 2013
We estimate that 10 thousand people were at the capitol yesterday to oppose Senate action. In addition, rallies were held on Maui, the Big Island, Hilo and Kona. That means that potentially 10-12 thousand residents of Hawaii took time out of their busy schedules to show the legislature that they understand that marriage should remain between one man and one woman. At the rally, thousands of voices chanted that in 1998 they did not give the legislature the power to define marriage any way they want.
As successful as the rally was, the battle is not over. We still need your kokua.
So what is the current status of SB1? (Read the bill here)
SENATE JUDICIARY PASSES SAME-SEX "MARRIAGE" BILL
The votes in Senate Judiciary and Labor were as follows: 5 Aye(s): Senator(s) Hee, Shimabukuro, Galuteria, Ihara, Solomon and 2 Noes: Gabbard and Slom (Click here for bill status). As usual, only Senators Gabbard and Slom continue to stand strong for traditional marriage. Their votes should be applauded.
So, what happens next?
The bill will now be voted on by the full Senate. That is expected on Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. so we need you to be at the capitol, in Senate Chambers, if at all possible, to fill the Senate gallery. The bill is expected to pass the Senate but we should be there, IN BLUE SHIRTS, to continue to show the Senators that the public is paying attention.
The House Judiciary Committee has scheduled the bill for hearing so now we are asking that you submit your testimony today. All testimony must be in by Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. Testimony can only be submitted in two ways:
1) Deliver a copy to the House Clerks Office (Room 027) in the State Capitol up to the day of the hearing. Please make sure you identify on your testimony whether or not you will be present at the hearing.
2) Submit testimony online here. (You will have to register online if you did not already submit testimony through the capitol website. You will not have to register if you have already done so. The system should remember you.)
Testifiers will only be given 2 minutes to testify.
1) Submit your testimony to the joint House Committee of Judiciary and the Committee on Finance by 10:00 on Wednesday
2) Come to the Senate Chambers on Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. (wearing your navy blue shirts) and bring your family and friends with you.
3) Continue to contact your own Senator and Representative and ask them to vote no (click here for a link to do so) on SB1
4) We need hundreds of signwavers at the Capitol out every day until this is over. Email us for information on how you can get plugged in.
PHOTOS: "Let the People Vote" Thousands Rally Against Gay Marriage