by Andrew Walden
A May, 2014 TRO filed by SORT Kalaeloa Raceway operator George Grace III against fellow Kalaeloa DHHL industrial tenant Mark Aiwohi provides some insight into circumstances surrounding the assault and arson attacks against Carroll Cox.
Here it is verbatim. Take note of the stilted references to DHHL Land Agent Ward Kalei Young which Grace puts into the mouth of Aiwohi:
On or about May 7, 2014, at approx. 8:30 pm, Respondent Mark Aiwohi, of Aiwohi Trucking, came to my garage located at 91-325 Kauhi St. Unit D2 in the Campbell Industrial Park. He was driving a white Ford F150 Crew Cab Pickup and when he stopped his truck he jumped out, slammed his vehicle door and walked with both his fists closed, his chest puffed out, his eyes bulging with rage and his entire body tense like he was going to rush me to knock me down. I could visibly see he was very angry and showed a lot of anger and aggression. Respondent immediately was yelling at me and got in my face and he was spitting with rage as he yelled. I immediately took a defensive posture as I was sure he was going to attempt to false crack me and rush me to knock me to the ground. Respondent was ranting and yelling in a very angry and threatening voice the following:
1. "Listen George your problems at Hawaiian Homes is spilling over to my side and affecting the my deals I have with DHHL and Ward Kalei Young."
2. "George, I know you're paying your sister Sabrina (Grace-Dereis) and Carroll Cox to investigate the empty lot next to my yard that I am receiving storage fees for. I'm holding you responsible for the actions that Sabrina & Carroll Cox are doing and you need to beck them off and stop them from investigating me and Kalei Young with whatever business Kalei and I have together."
3. "lf your sons wasn't here as a witness now- I would knock you out and show you pain that you have never experienced before."
4. "l know where you live and your children live and I am in the business in inflicting pain-"
5. "Again George, I am holding you responsible for any investigation that your sister and Carroll Cox is doing against me and Aiwohi Trucking and Kalei Young."
6. "Warn your sister because what happened to Carroll can happen to her. And the next time somebody is going to the hospital."
7. "And tell your sister and especially Mr Cox that I can afford to have someone do my dirty work and it will never come back to me.'
8. 'Tell Mr Cox that he saw me sitting out there 20-25 minutes before he got assaulted. And just to show him that I have power and can have anybody taken care of that stands in my way." Then Respondent turned and while he was walking away to his truck he said "George you better worry, I have no problem hurting you and your family." Respondent continued to shout at me that I need to keep my sister under control and the at the next time somebody is going to the hospital. Respondent glared at me as he climbed into his truck, slammed the door and raced off in his truck.
I did not invite Respondent to my place of business as I have no business with him. I did not give Respondent Mark Aiwohi permission to come onto my property and threaten myself and my family. By Respondent's acts and conduct and his reputation in the community I do fear for my life for myself, my family, my sister and Carroll Cox and I want to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.
On June 16, 2014 George Grace III filed suit "pro-se" against DHHL. In the text of his filing, Grace alleges wrong-doing by "certain employees of the DHHL, including but not limited to the Land Management Division":
...Defendants failed and refused to verify or conduct a reasonable investigation if the anonymous complaints were truthful or just manufactured and speculative , and instead Defendants and their employees and other Doe Defendants barged on to the Premises or the lot allowed to be used or had improperly requested the Honolulu Police Department or the Department of Health or the Department of Planning and permitting to try to arrest grace and issue numerous different types and kinds of notices of violations and assessment of fines to SORT and Grace....certain employees of the DHHL, including but not limited to the Land Management Division, were acting either in their official capacity or under color of law either pursuant to an improperly adopted rule or regulation or not pursuant to any rule or regulation or practice and procedure of the DHHL and were doing this of their own volition and not under any resolution adopted by DHHL commission....
On his website, Carroll Cox May 11, 2014 provides his own context:
"Prior to the attack Carroll filed complaints with the Attorney General and with Jobie Masagatani, the Director of the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands regarding illegal dumping and abuse of leases. Listen to our April 6 and our April 13 shows regarding the issues.
After the attack Mr. George Grace reports he was approached and threatened by Mark Aiwohi, of Aiwohi Trucking, because of the "trouble" George Grace, his family, and Carroll Cox were making for him and state Land Agent Kalei Young.
PDF: GGIII TRO vs Aiwohi
DHHL: Kalaeloa / Leeward Land Manager Ward Kalei Young
July 6, 2014: For The Record: Hawaiian Homelands Debunks Kalaeloa Raceway Story
Related: Fireworks, dirt, and stolen trucks: Colleen Hanabusa and the Honolulu Raceway Deal