The 10 Best Cities for Child-free Living
by Christian Neeser, MyLife.com, July 15, 2014 (excerpt)
We started with a list of the 100 most populous cities in the U.S. and ranked them from one to 100 in each of the following categories:
- Lowest Birth Rate – We were looking for the fewest bundles of joy born in each city’s metro area based on the percentage of the population. Numbers from the Census.
- Households Without Children – The higher percentage of the population that has no children, the more likely you are to meet someone who doesn’t need to find a babysitter before they go out. Numbers from the Census.
- Performing Arts Theaters Per Capita – Sure, quite a few youngin’s will accompany their parents to the theater when “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” rolls through town, but more often than not you will only see adults at these productions. Data from Yelp.
- Bars Per Capita – Nothing beats a night out with friends or a cold one to unwind after work. Alcohol means an adults only playground. Data from Yelp.
- Fancy Restaurants Per Capita – These are the restaurants with high ratings or “$$$$.” When you are at a high-end restaurant for dinner the chances of little kids dropping crayons next to your table are slim at best. Data from Yelp.
After establishing a ranking for each of those categories, We assigned a score to each city for those categories as well. Once those were added up, We divided the sum into an average; the lower that average was the better.
1. Honolulu, HI
The sunny beaches and sand of Honolulu has provided to countless honeymooners and other adults looking to get away from it all. But aside from its tourist appeal, it showed to be a haven for the adult crowd, as they ranked first in percentage of households without children. They also had the third most fancy restaurants per capita.
read ... The 10 Best Cities for Child-free Living
Totally Related: DBEDT: Decline of Nuclear Family Makes Kakaako Development Possible