I MUA MĀNOA CALLS FOR TRANSPARENCY AND A BUDGET SUSTAINABILITY PLAN AT UHM
News Release from I Mua Manoa February 15, 2015
I Mua Manoa, a group of concerned faculty and staff at the University of Hawai`i, are calling a press conference at the Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies, Hālau o Haumea on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:00 a.m., to present IMM proposals for transparency and a sustainable budget.
As budget shortfalls pervade UH Mānoa, the flagship campus of the UH system and research university, I Mua Manoa proposes the following seven (7) steps to address the issue of transparency and to make the budget sustainable.
Keep the current G fund distributions current levels across units. We demand that G fund distribution across units not be changed to compensate for S fund allocation changes, as rumor has it that all G funds will be given to non-teaching research units instead of sharing it with teaching units.
Return 40% of S funds [tuition] back to the instructional units that teach students and create tuition for the university. Let UHM Administration use the remaining 60% of S funds for other bills.
Over the next 5 years, have Research units begin to pay for a portion of their salaries, as are done in all other R-1 universities, from extramural grants (e.g., 20% within 2 years) and use more RTRF for research units’ operation.
Begin the search for a permanent Chancellor of UHM immediately.
G funds: General Fund Allocations come from the Legislature
S funds: These funds come from student tuition.