Remembrance Ceremony for Senator Daniel K. Inouye
News Release from Office of the Governor
HONOLULU –The people of Hawaii are invited to pay their final respects to a national hero.
On Saturday, Dec. 22, Senator Inouye will lie in state from 5 p.m. to midnight in the State Capitol Rotunda. A short program will commence with the arrival of the senator’s casket. Public viewing will begin after the program for all to show their aloha to Senator Inouye with respect and quiet dignity.
The family has requested no flowers. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Daniel K. Inouye Fund, care of the Hawaii Community Foundation. The fund was created at the request of the senator’s widow, Irene Hirano Inouye.
There will be a condolence book available for people to sign from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 21, in the Governor’s Office. Condolence books will also be available at the Lying in State service on Saturday.
We anticipate a very large crowd and encourage motorists to carpool or use public transportation. There will be no public parking at the State Capitol, but the public can park at the following locations:
- LOT G, 1151 Punchbowl Street (Kalanimoku Bldg), enter from Beretania or Punchbowl Streets
- LOT L, 1250 Punchbowl Street (Kinau Hale), enter from Punchbowl Street, Makai-bound ONLY
- LOT D, 465 S. King Street, enter from King or Punchbowl Street
- City Civic Center, located at Alapai and Beretania Streets
- City Joint Traffic Management Center, located at Beretania and Alapai Streets
- Only handicap parking will be available at Lot F, 364 S. King Street (Iolani Palace). Motorists should enter from King Street, the driveway between Iolani Palace and the Hawaii State Library.
Olelo Community Media will cablecast live the lying in state ceremony from 5 p.m. through midnight on Channel VIEWS 54. The program will also be streamed live at www.olelo.org.
# # #