In London and ashamed to be from Hawaii
I am currently in London attending World Travel Market (WTM) for eTurboNews.
I guarantee - don't expect business from wasting our tax payers promotional money that paid for the Hawaii Tourism Authority stand.
Along with 11 of my staff from Hawaii, Germany, Jordan, Thailand and the UK I'm attending the second largest travel market in the world. I had been attending WTM every year for more than 25 years. For most exhibitors this was by far the best show ever - except for Hawaii!
Lot's of business, lot's of press and destinations from Alabama to Fiji to Zambia exhibited. Most stands had more business they could handle Almost everyone and worked overtime to accommodate appointments -except Hawaii.
I had the pleasure to independently introduce our Aloha State at various high level functions and meetings.
I hope no one I talked to will see the HTA Stand at WTM - it's pathetic.
Juergen Thomas Steinmetz
president Hawaii Tourism Association (not affiliated with HTA)
London Travel Show: Hawaii vs Seychelles
|Hawaii's stand : 1 person from a UK PR agency
||Seychelles stand: 54 hotel managers, inbound agents, attraction reps, government officials
- Organized by Hawaii Tourism Authority
- No posters, no decoration
- 6 Hawaii hotels paid $500.00 to have their brochures available
- No information, no appointments
- No new business
- No one from Hawaii was available at the stand.
- The PR rep at the stand was busy talking to friends about personal issues. One of our eTN reporters from the UK pretended to get information and patiently waited at the stand for 20 minutes He was completely ignored.
- No one from HTA attended high level events, and consequently had no say.
- No media coverage
- No Hawaii event
- Organized by the Seychelles Ministry of Tourism
- Lot's of material, full book of appointments and more than 5000 new potential tour operators are looking at the Seychelles to add to their portfolio.
- Several airlines expressed interest adding the Seychelles as a destination
- New cooperation agreements signed with numerous countries.
- Attended and participated high level events
- Lot's of global media coverage
- A Seychelles Cocktail party with rewards given to industry professionals and media as "friends of the Seychelles"
|Hawaii -- 7,230 miles from London
||The Seychelles – 5,062 miles from London
|Population: 1.3 million
|Total land area: 6,423 square miles
||Total land area: 44 square miles