Legislators Save Union Bosses from not-yet-written Janus Decision
Hawaii County Audit Finds Bundles of Cash in Breakroom
VIDEO: Evacuation Ordered As Lava Erupts in Leilani Estates
Feds Approve Hawaii Air Ambulance deal
Hawaii: Over 1,500 Rape Kits Tested
State investigating Kaniela Ing’s campaign finances
SA: …The state agency charged with enforcing Hawaii’s campaign finance laws is reviewing several years’ worth of records from past races by state Rep. Kaniela Ing, who is running for Congress this year.
Gary Kam, general counsel to the state Campaign Spending Commission, said the agency’s staff has been looking into Ing’s campaign reporting, but could not provide any details of the probe. The review began around 2015….
A Honolulu Star-Advertiser review of campaign data found an example where the Realtors Political Action Committee of Hawaii reported seven campaign contributions to Friends of Kaniela Ing between 2013 and 2017 totaling $2,900. The campaign, meanwhile, reported receiving three donations totaling $500 from the Hawaii Association of Realtors over the same time period….
The agency, which has subpoena powers, has a stated goal of increasing transparency and integrity around campaign donations and expenditures.
In general, alleged violations that rise to the level of a formal complaint are presented to the commission, which typically meets once a month. Commissioners can decide to dismiss a complaint, investigate further, make a preliminary determination regarding probable cause, impose administrative fines or refer a case for criminal prosecution.
The commission has no jurisdiction over federal campaigns. (So obviously there needs to be a separate investigation of Ing’s Congressional Campaign Committee.)…
Recent Ing News:
read … State investigating Kaniela Ing’s campaign finances
Leilani Estates: Police Pull out of Area, Looters Move In?
KHON: ...While lava and quakes continue to impact lower Puna, there is also an unseen danger - sulfur dioxide gas being released by the lava.
"First responders felt sick," said Hawaii County Civil Defense Administrator Talmadge Magno.
Hawaii County Police Chief Paul Ferreira says it's not even safe for his officers to be in and patrol Leilani estates.
When asked about burglaries and looting, Ferreira said, don't believe everything you see on social media.
"Just FYI, as a fire chief, we ask you guys to stay out of the area," said Hawaii Fire Department Chief Renwick Victorino….
- SA May 6, 2018: Hawaii County police and prosecutors said they “have established a policy of zero tolerance toward looting or vandalism,” which will be treated as a felony.
- HTH: Alleged Looter Arrested—Suspect in 2 Leilani Est Burglaries
- HTH: Two lava-related arrests made in Leilani Estates
- FB: Chased off looters at 2AM
- AP: ‘Reports of Looting’ -- Brad Stanfill says the lava is more than three miles (5 kilometers) from his house but he's still not being allowed in. He wants go home to feed his pets and check on his property. He's concerned about reports of looting. One woman angrily told police guarding Leilani Estates she was going into the area and they couldn't arrest her. She stormed past the police unopposed.
- KITV: There are no official police reports of looters, but they are aware of the complaints.
- Reuters: Some attendees shed tears as they asked officials about looting
- SA: Authorities at the meeting took the opportunity to address reports on social media of looting. Hawaii County Police Chief Paul Ferreira flatly debunked internet rumors that looters are gaining access to abandoned homes by dressing in police uniforms. “Facebook, Instagram … all that social media has created a disaster for law enforcement,” Ferreira told the crowd. “Don’t believe it,” he said. “They’re putting out false information.” … He told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser afterward that there was no evidence of looting — “not at all that I know of,” Ferreira said.
- KHON: Resident resolves to stay, protect community for as long as possible during eruption
- HNN: State reminds Big Island residents to be vigilant of National Guard impersonators
- FB: Big Island Thieves
- FB: There are no Confirmed reports of Looting or Theft's in the Leilani Estates area.
- FB: Reports of people looting in Leilani Estates
- FB: Fake Victims Mooch Supplies from Pahoa Shelter
- HTH Sun May 6, 2018: Some may be allowed to return to homes briefly
- HTH Sun May 6, 2018: 26 Homes destroyed
read … Police Pull out of Area, Looters Move In
Department of Retaliation: Paid suspension continues for school superintendent
HTH: …Brad Bennett, Hilo-Waiakea Complex Area superintendent, remains on paid leave for the rest of the school year while an ongoing investigation continues.
The state Department of Education first placed Bennett on “department directed leave” Dec. 22….
The department said it is investigating a complaint made against him but has not provided specifics about the complaint or the nature of the investigation.
Chad “Keone” Farias, superintendent of the Ka‘u-Keaau-Pahoa Complex Area, has since performed Bennett’s duties, in addition to his own.
Farias will continue Bennett’s duties for the remainder of the school year, said DOE spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz in an email this week, though no decision has been made yet about the 2018-19 school year.
As to why the investigation has spanned more than four months, Dela Cruz said “investigations have different circumstances and do not have firm deadlines to allow for information about potential offenses and alleged claims to be thoroughly reviewed.”….
read … Paid suspension continues for school superintendent
Kauai: Transient vacation rentals prohibited in areas recovering from flooding
KGI: …Beginning Friday, one lane of Kuhio Highway between Waikoko and Wainiha has been open for vehicle access to local area residents only from 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. daily; visitors do not have access.
More than 100 vehicles traveled through the 2-mile single lane of Kūhiō Highway between Waikoko and Wainiha, during that first day of re-opening the highway to residents only….
(IQ Test: How long will this hold?)
KGI Poll: Should tourists be allowed to visit the flood-impacted areas on the North Shore?
read … Prohibited
Doctors, Lawyers Paid to Clean up After Maui Homeless Bumfight
MN: …The general surgeon testified Friday in the 2nd Circuit Court trial of Tisse Henriksen, 58, who has pleaded not guilty to second-degree attempted murder of Wright.
Wright said he was stabbed after intervening in a confrontation between Henriksen and another man, who had been knocked to the ground on the lanai of the former Century 21 real estate office at Puunene and Kaahumanu avenues in Kahului shortly after midnight Jan. 1, 2017.
Wright and others had gathered there to watch fireworks at Kahului Harbor when Henriksen showed up and was told to leave, according to witnesses.
Tasaki examined and treated Wright, who was then 31 years old, when he was brought to the Maui Memorial Medical Center emergency room with four lacerations or cuts….
Tasaki said reports showed Wright was high on ice, or methamphetamine…
After the doctor’s testimony, the prosecution rested its case in chief.
Judge Peter Cahill is presiding over the jury trial, which was scheduled to resume Monday….
read … Bumfight
Tourist in critical condition after Snorkel-Related near-drowning incident on Maui
SA: A 73-year-old visitor from Colorado was in critical condition today after she was pulled unconscious from Kapalua Bay in West Maui.
According to a Maui Fire Department report, the woman was snorkeling with a relative about 200 feet from shore when she became unresponsive. The relative called for help and a nearby paddleboarder helped bring the woman to shore.
People on the beach, including a vacationing physician, performed CPR on the woman until paramedics and fire rescue personnel arrived….
read … Snorkel Rentals Kill