News Release from Hawaii House of Representatives November 6, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii – After five days and nearly 57 hours of testimony, the House Judiciary and Finance Committees passed SB1 HD1, relating to equal rights, out of committee with amendments broadening exemptions for religious organizations and those performing solemnizations. The measure was approved by the Judiciary and Finance Committees in a vote of 18 to 12.
SB1 HD1 recognizes marriages between individuals of the same gender. In addition, the measure extends to same-sex couples the same rights, benefits, protections, and responsibilities of marriage to which opposite-sex couples are presently entitled.
The House draft amends the Senate version of SB1 in the following areas:
REFUSAL TO SOLEMNIZE A MARRIAGE
- No requirement if in violation of “religious beliefs or faith”
- Including immunity from administrative, civil and legal liability for failure or refusal to solemnize
- Applies to “religious organizations” and “nonprofit organizations operated, supervised or controlled by a religious organization”
- No requirement to provide “goods, services, or its facilities or grounds for the solemnization or celebration of a marriage that is in violation of its religious beliefs or faith”
- Exemption applies to religious organizations and the nonprofit organizations specified above even if the activity is “for profit”
- Immunity from administrative, civil and legal liability for failure or refusal
RIGHT OF PARENTS
- Conforms the above exemptions to the existing civil unions statue (HRS 572B)
- Changed to December 2, 2013
The hearing drew immense public input-with 5,184 registered testifiers and nearly 24,400 written testimonies submitted. As far as House members could recall, the public hearing on SB1 was the longest hearing on a single bill in the modern history of the Hawaii House of Representatives.
The measure now goes before the full House of Representatives for a vote on second reading. Session will convene this morning, November 6, at 10:00 AM.
FULL TEXT & STATUS: SB1 HD1
LINK: Committee Report