Hau’oli Makahiki Hou and welcome to 2014!
If 2013 was a preview of things to come. I’m optimistic that 2014 will be a banner year for the Hawai’i Republican Assembly (HIRA).
2013 was a whirlwind of action and involvement for us. We reestablished ourselves as the conservative voice in Hawai’i, and using the power of traditional and social media we were able to provide the conservative view on the myriad of issues that confront us here in Hawai’i and nationally. This resulted in our membership growing 275% and garnering us significant recognition and admiration from the National Federation of Republican Assemblies (NFRA).
Following our state convention, HIRA held its first major fundraiser in July with nationally syndicated conservative radio host Rusty Humphries. It was truly exhilarating being in a room full of like minded individuals, enjoying the musings of a true conservative warrior.
Also in 2013 HIRA was in the trenches battling to save the morality of Hawai’i. Even though the cards were stacked against us and those that opposed same-sex marriage, I believe we not only provided a strong voice in opposition, but we differentiated ourselves from the establishment Republicans who chose to remain silent on the issue, and the moderate organizations who pushed for compromise on the bill’s language.
Our bold and factual radio ads and statewide eblasts not only triggered real conversation within the community, but solicited attacks by the progressives who tried to label us as the 'thought police', and desperately tried to downplay our message. Additionally, our president made several appearances on KHVH and TV news networks defending conservative principles.
We even sent a delegation to Dallas, Texas for the National Federation of Republican Assemblies convention in September. Not only were our delegates greeted with open arms, but also they were successful in getting the NFRA to adopt two resolutions that directly impact Hawaii (opposition to Akaka Bill and support for Jones Act Reform).
In 2014, we have some big plans . . .
• January 16th: as we take HIRA's Roadshow to Kailua, spreading the word how 50 years of one party rule has set Hawaii on the path of cities like Detroit and Compton and how HIRA will fight to put us on a path to success.
• January 23rd: along with Smart Business Hawaii we will be hosting nationally syndicated conservative radio host Michael Medved at a Pau Hana style event at the Waialae Country Club;
• February 6th: HIRA will hold its inaugural Ronald Reagan Freedom and Liberty Dinner celebrating the 103rd Birthday of our 40th President. Our keynote speaker will be Mr. Alberto Cardenas the Chairman of the American Conservative Union. The oldest conservative organization in the country and title sponsor of the highly successful CPAC.
But folks, lets be honest none of our successes in 2013 would have happened if it wasn’t for your support. I have two goals for you in 2014:
(1) Get involved, we are always looking for volunteers to help us with our events. Contact us at email@example.com to kokua.
(2) Increase our membership, talk to your friends and relatives, explain to them what HIRA is all about and encourage them to join or attend our events.
(3) Like HIRA's page on Facebook and share our posts with others. The more people our conservative message can reach, the faster we can have influence with voters.
You know as well as we do that our work is only beginning. In order to go toe-to-toe with the big-progressive ruling class that currently controls the big square building we must be mobilized, organized, energized and strategized.
"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men Do Nothing."-- Edmund Burke --
Mahalo for a great 2013. Please join HIRA in making 2014 even better!
Secretary - Hawai'i Republican Assembly