Best Cities for Successful Aging 2014
From Milken Institute
What makes a great environment for people as they age? Sun Belt locales, for many the obvious contenders, are generally absent from our Top 20 large Best Cities for Successful Aging. To develop the rankings, we looked at eight categories that enhance opportunities for successful aging in place. The metro areas selected perform well in many of those broad categories, and common themes emerge in economic strength, an abundance of health services, an active lifestyle, opportunity for intellectual stimulation, and easy access to amenities. Even our Top 20 had room to improve in various categories, and we delved into the specifics to show their strengths and weaknesses. In the pages that follow, we highlight what each large metro does well, along with opportunities for improvement.
read ... Entire Report
* * * * *
HONOLULU Ranks 12th for Successful Aging
Favorable economy for older residents
- Low unemployment. Ample service sector jobs.
- Relatively low poverty and less income inequality.
- Opportunities for career education and higher learning.
Quality of care and healthy aloha living
- Fit and breathing freely: low levels of obesity among older adults. Relatively few smokers.
- University-affiliated hospitals and quality nursing homes.
- High life expectancy at age 65, implying superior quality of life.
- Many walk-to-work commuters. Adequate special-needs transportation.
Sluggish entrepreneurship and pricey living
- Small business growth—limited. Capital gains—limited.
- High rents and expensive services, including adult day care and assisted living.
- Limited availability of nursing rooms.
Specialized health care facilities and services
- Scarcity of caregivers and fitness facilities.
- Strong need for Alzheimer's units and MRI clinics.
This tourist hotspot boasts ample economic opportunities and outdoor pleasures, but life amid the palm trees can cost, especially at quality nursing facilities and hospitals. Special needs transport is adequate, but work commutes are time-consuming and transit fares steep.
read ... Details of Honolulu Report