FULL HOUSE TO VOTE ON BULLY BILL SB501 HD2
From Hawaii Family Forum, April 8, 2017
The bill (SB 501 HD2) that would force faith-based pregnancy centers (Pearson Foundation, Aloha Pregnancy Care & Counseling Centers, A Place for Women in Waipio, Malama Pregnancy Center (Maui) and the Kona Pregnancy Center) to post a sign on their premises promoting Planned Parenthood resources, has been scheduled for full chamber vote at the House on April 11, 2017.
Need more information about this issue? Visit Hawaii Family Forum online here.
NOTICE OF HOUSE CHAMBER VOTE
- DATE: Tuesday, April 11, 2017
- TIME: 9:00 AM
- PLACE: Chamber Session, State Capitol 415 South Beretania Street
- Pray for the members of the House to make the right decision.
- If you can, come to the capitol on Tuesday to the support the pregnancy centers.
- Send a message to your legislator. You can use the link below and VoterVOICE will connect you directly with your legislator. The Link will also give you the phone number of your legislator if you click on the "phone" icon.
- Encourage your family and friends to do the same.
Why is this bill so bad? The bill is simply compelled speech. Should the government be allowed to force a faith-based ministry to post a sign that directs clients to mybenefits.hawaii.gov to access "comprehensive family planning services, including, but not limited to, all FDA-approved methods of contraception and pregnancy-related services for eligible women?"
One does not need to look too far to see that faith-based ministries that counsel women in unplanned pregnancies should not have the government dictate what they should say. Current lawsuits, including California, are underway, while the High Courts in Texas, New York and Baltimore have already ruled against such laws.
Click the link to log in and send your message: LINK
* * * * *
House Judiciary Passes Bully Bill (SB 501 HD2)
From Hawaii Family Forum, April 5, 2017
Today the House Judiciary Committee overwhelmingly passed the "bully bill" (SB 501 HD2). This is the bill that will force pregnancy resource centers like Pearson Foundation, A Place for Women in Waipio, the Aloha Pregnancy Care & Counseling Centers, Malama Pregnancy Center and Kona Pregnancy Center to post a sign that directs clients to "family planning" and "contraceptive services" offered by the State of Hawaii.
The vote in the committee was as follows:
- 8 Ayes: Representative(s) Nishimoto, San Buenaventura, Belatti, Brower, C. Lee, Morikawa, Nakashima, Thielen;
- 2 Noes: Representative(s) Oshiro, McDermott;
- and 1 Excused: Representative(s) Johanson.
The bill will now move the full House floor for vote. In the next few days, we will be sending a link so that you can send message to your Representative asking them to vote no on the floor.
We would like to acknowledge the overwhelming testimony in opposition that showed up today. Also, Rep. Marcus Oshiro gave a short speech on the reason he had to vote no on the bill. On Friday, we will release those points in our Week in Review.
For now, get ready to make contact with your legislators in the House. Mahalo for your prayers and support.