Department announces 2019-20 enrollment figures for public and charter schools
Hawaii's public and charter schools combined enrollment for school year 2019-20 totals 179,331 students, compared to 179,698 last year, a difference of 0.2 percent.
News Release from Hawaii DoE, September 9, 2019
HONOLULU - Hawaii's public and charter schools combined enrollment for school year 2019-20 totals 179,331 students, compared to 179,698 last year, a difference of 0.2 percent. This year, Hawaii State Department of Education (HIDOE) schools enrolled 167,454 students (down from 168,152 last year) and charter schools enrolled 11,877 students (up from 11,546 last year).
In school year 2019-20, the five largest HIDOE public schools by grade level are:
High Schools (grades 9-12):
- Campbell (3,077), Waipahu (2,777), Mililani (2,620), Farrington (2,396), Maui (2,082)
Middle (grades 6-8) and Intermediate Schools (grades 7-8):
- Mililani Middle (1,875), Kapolei Middle (1,487), Ewa Makai Middle (1,390), Waipahu Intermediate (1,349), Maui Waena Intermediate (1,162)
- August Ahrens (1,274), Holomua (1,127), Waipahu (987), Kahului (933), Keoneula (912)
The five smallest HIDOE schools in the state include:
- Niihau High and Elementary (10), Maunaloa Elementary (36), Hawaii School for the Deaf and Blind (62), Kilohana Elementary (71) and Waiahole Elementary (86).
The five largest charter schools are:
- Hawaii Technology Academy (1,285), Kamaile Academy (878), the Hawaii Academy of Arts and Sciences (710), Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao (694) and Kihei Charter School (689).
The five smallest charter schools are:
- Kanaka (33), Ke Ana Laahana (41), Ke Kula O Niihau Kekaha (50), Hakipuu Learning Center (55) and DreamHouse Ewa Beach (85).
LINK: Download our spreadsheet of the official public and charter school enrollment counts for 2019-20.
HTH: Enrollment up in Ka‘u-Keaau-Pahoa area
MN: Maui schools among top 5 in state enrollment
SA: Charter schools show growth in number of students
PBN: Hawaii DOE student population drops amid bump in charter school enrollment