PRESS RELEASE from USPS:
Now that everyone had survived the mad Black Friday shopping rush, Hawaii residents' thoughts will likely turn to Christmas shopping and shipping. The Postal Service is providing suggested holiday mailing dates specific to Hawaii, a list of Post Offices that will feature extended hours of operation during the holidays, information about Automated Postal Centers, and holiday mailing tips.
Suggested Mailing Dates
Below are the dates that the Postal Service suggests Hawaii residents mail their letters, cards and packages to give them the best chances of reaching their destinations by Christmas. Note that the dates apply to the mail received by each Post Office's daily cutoff time.
Our suggested mailing dates are Dec. 10 for first-class and Priority mail headed to international and overseas military destinations, and Dec. 19 for First-Class and Priority Mail headed to the mainland. Procrastinators have until Dec. 21 to send their holiday cheer to the mainland via our expedited Express Mail service.
First-Class & Express Mail From Hawaii to . . .
- U.S. Mainland Dec 19 Dec 21
- Hawaii Dec 22 Dec 23
- Guam & Saipan Dec 16 Dec 20
- American Samoa Dec 14 Dec 19
- Military APOs & FPOs Dec 10 Dec 16*
- International*** Dec 10 Dec 16**
Dates apply to mail received by each Post Office's cutoff time.
* Express Mail military service available to selected military Post Offices. Some Express Mail destinations may have extended service commitments. Check with your local Post Office to determine availability.
** Express Mail international service is available to 190 countries, with delivery in an average of 3-5 business days.
*** Africa and Central America: Send First Class/Priority Mail by Dec.1 and Express Mail by Dec. 10.
Postal customers are asked to keep in mind that the above suggested mailing dates are not deadlines, implying that packages or letters will not arrive at their destinations if mailed after the listed dates. In fact, if normal holiday conditions prevail, chances are good that letters and packages sent shortly after the suggested dates will still make it to their destinations before Christmas. Ultimately, uncontrollable factors such as mailing volumes and weather determine whether deliveries can be made early or on time.
Extended Holiday Hours
- The Airport and Ala Moana Post Offices, two of the busiest Post Offices on Oahu, will extend their hours of operation on select days in December to accommodate the increased holiday mail volume.
- The Airport (Honolulu) Post Office will even be open for business from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday Dec. 18.
- The specific days and times of extended holiday hours follows. Customers can call 1-800-ASK-USPS or go to USPS.com and click on "Locate a Post Office" in the tool bar to determine specific hours of operation of these and other Post Offices.
Airport (HNL) Post Office Dates & Times of Extended Hours
- Dec. 12 - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Dec. 16 - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Dec. 17 - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Dec. 18 - 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 19 - 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Ala Moana Post Office Dates & Times of Extended Holiday Hours
- Dec. 12 - 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 16 - 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 17 - 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 19 - 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Self Service Ship & Mail Centers
These convenient postal kiosks allow customers to purchase stamps, print and pay for postage for packages, and conduct other common transactions without the need to stand in line to see a mail clerk--an all-too-frequent necessity during holiday mailing season. Perhaps most important, customers can access the Self Service Ship & Mail Centers 24/7, at times that are convenient to them. USPS Self Service Ship & Mail Centers are located in Hawaii outside or in the service lobbies of the 18 Post Offices below:
- Aina Haina
- Ala Moana
- Hawaii Kai
- Hilo Main Office
Here are some time- and money-saving tips to help make the holidays a little brighter:
- Save $$$ with FLAT RATE BOXES: Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes are the best deal around. Customers can send up to 70 pounds in Medium Flat Rate Boxes to domestic locations for only $10.95. An even better deal is the Large Flat Rate Box, which holds 50 percent more (with the same 70-pound limit) for only $14.95, and features the tagline "Seasons Greetings from Hawaii" printed on its side. And, to support our military troops overseas, up to 70 pounds can be shipped in the military Large Flat Rate Box to APO and FPO locations for only $12.95.
- Save $$$ with ONLINE DISCOUNTS: Pay for your postage and print out your mailing label at USPS.com and save up to 14 percent off of over-the-counter rates and receive FREE Delivery Confirmation. Discounted rates are available for Priority, Express and International mailings. Examples: Discounted Medium Flat Rate Boxes sent domestically are $10.50; Large Flat Rate Boxes sent domestically are $14.20; military APO/FPO Large Flat Rate Boxes are $12.20.
- FREE package pickup: Skip the trip to the Post Office during the holidays. After printing out the mailing labels for your packages at USPS.com, notify us at usps.com/pickup that they're ready to be picked up. Your carrier will be alerted and will pick up your packages from your home or office, usually the next business day. There is no extra charge for this service.
- FREE packaging: Priority Mail and Express Mail envelopes and packages, including Flat Rate boxes, are available for FREE at your local Post Office.