Yoshioka: Bus Cuts Have no connection wIth Rail
KHON: Among the changes, the Country Express (Route C) will come only every 45 minutes instead of on the half hour mid-days. Kalihi-to-Waikiki express (Route B) will be discontinued, with Route 2 along the same path but with more stops continuing. The Circle Island (Routes 52/55) won't be one long ride, you'll have to change buses in Wahiawa. Several routes will detour at Waikiki instead of going through or around it….
"This is not a done deal,” Yoshioka said. “If we made a mistake, if we've misjudged something, and if we hear something from the public we will go back and change something."
In addition to routes they'll also address any questions about the economics behind the changes.
"This has no connection whatsoever with rail,” Yoshioka said.
He then asked a reporter, “Do you like the way I said that? I didn’t even crack a smirk or anything. I could be in Hollywood.”
read … Less Public Transit
News Release from DTS:
Service Changes Planned for TheBus in 2012
The Department of Transportation Services (DTS) is planning several service changes for TheBus in June and in August of this year; these changes affect several parts of Oahu, including East Honolulu, the Windward side and North Shore, Central Oahu, Ewa and the Waianae Coast.
Some changes are to the schedule, affecting the frequency of service – how often buses come; other changes are to routes – operating on different streets or ending at different locations.
The changes are designed to balance service with demand to make better use of our resources, saving money where possible to avoid the need to raise fares, while maintaining acceptable service.
Schedule Frequency Changes, Routes affected:
- Route 1 Kaimuki-Kalihi weekday frequency changes to every 15 Minutes (June)
- Route 5 Manoa – Ala Moana Center Weekday peak frequency changes to every 55 minutes (June)
- Route C Weekday mid-day frequency changes to every 45 minutes and Weekend frequency changes to every hour (June)
- Route 43 weekend service discontinued (June)
Route Changes, some with schedule changes, Routes affected:
- Route E, (June) route ends in Downtown instead of Waikiki; Sunday frequency changes to hourly
- Route 53 changes to local shuttle on weekends (June)
- Route 62 ends at Wahiawa TC and Alapai TC (June)
- Route 52 ends in Wahiawa Heights via Wahiawa TC, frequency changes to every half hour (June)
- Route 55 ends at Wahiawa TC, frequency changes to hourly (June)
- Route 65 changes to Kahekili Hwy. at Haiku Rd., Heeiea service deleted (June)
- Route B discontinued, Route 2 increased service to compensate (June)
- Route 2 serves Campbell Ave., extends to KCC (August)
- Route 13 moves to Kapiolani Blvd., extends through Kapahulu to UH (August)
- Route 4 ends at McCully / Kalakaua (August)
- Routes 19 and 20 replace Route 2 around Kapiolani Park (August)
- Route 3 ends at KCC (August)
- Route 9 deletes Palolo Valley, extends through Kaimuki to end at KCC); Route 901 Palolo Valley Shuttle replaces Route 9 in Palolo Valley (August)
- Route 14 deletes Kahala, Kapahulu, serves St. Louis and Maunalani Heights direct via Waialae Ave. (August)
- Routes 18 and 24 join into single route via Kapahulu, Waikiki portion of 24 eliminated. (August)
- Route 231 discontinued (June)
(Remaining) Meetings to Discuss Bus Route Adjustments
(Editor’s note: Meetings started last week April 2nd. The dates posted below are remaining dates)
We developed these plans using the best information available to us including the new Short Range Transit Operations Plan. Now we are ready for you to help us adjust and finalize the plans.
Do you have questions, comments or suggestions for us? More information will be available at any of the following meetings and presentations:
Bus Route Adjustment Presentations at the following Neighborhood Board and Community meetings
|Monday, April 9
||St. Louis Heights Comm. Assoc.
|Tuesday, April 10
||Waikiki Community Center
|Thursday, April 12
||Ko`olau Loa NHB
||Hauula Community Center
|Monday, April 16
||Wahiawa-Whitmore Village NB26
||Wahiawa District Park
|Tuesday, April 17
|Wednesday, April 18
||Kaimuki Christian School
|Wednesday, April 18
||Kalihi Union Church
|Thursday, April 19
||Hoaloha Kai Montessori Sch.
|Tuesday, April 24
||Hawaii Kai NHB
|Tuesday, April 24
||Pearl City NHB
||Waiau District Park
|Wednesday, April 25
||Waikiki Regional Circulation Study
|Thursday, April 26
||Filipino Community Center