Abercrombie: Re-Vote on HSTA Contract Has No Legal Standing
News Release from www.Hawaii.gov/gov May 3, 2012
Governor Neil Abercrombie today responded to a letter received by the Hawai'i State Teachers Association (HSTA) last night. HSTA president Wil Okabe sent a letter which notified the Governor of HSTA’s intention to seek ratification of the January 2012 proposed agreement that was previously rejected by its members.
See the letters here: NR Gov.hsta letters 050312
Prior to this letter, negotiations have been ongoing based on HSTA’s February 28, 2012 proposal and the State’s March 19, 2012 settlement offer.
Governor Abercrombie stated:
“What Mr. Okabe has proposed to HSTA members is a decision made solely by HSTA leadership. This is entirely an internal union action in which we have had no participation. The letter that we received from HSTA last night was unsolicited.
“According to the Attorney General the agreement which was rejected in January 2012 has no legal standing. In addition, in February, HSTA submitted a comprehensive proposal, which has not been withdrawn.
“We look forward to crafting an agreement with the HSTA to be submitted to teachers for ratification that is clear, current, and correct.
“As the school year ends, we appreciate the work that our teachers have done for student achievement and we look forward to resolving this labor dispute with their union.”
Posted on HSTA Facebook Page Wednesday May 2, 2012
"As candidates for HSTA President, we had our disagreements. However, we both agree that asking teachers to reconsider the January settlement proposal is in the best interest of Hawaii's teachers and children." -Paul Daugherty & Wil Okabe
Last evening, after a unanimous recommendation from the HSTA Bargaining Team to the Negotiations Committee and the Board of Directors, the Board voted to ask the membership to re-vote on the January 6, 2012 tentative settlement.
As the letter to the Governor states (see Members Only HSTA for a copy):
"HSTA rushed a ratification vote of the proposal which we had reached in good faith with BOE Chairman Don Horner, Tammi Chun from your office and Superintendent Kathryn Matayoshi.
Following the rejection by the teachers, results of our internal polling and by the Castle Foundation indicated that teachers lacked the information and time to consider the agreement."
In order to rectify our mistake in rushing a ratification vote on January 19--less than two weeks after the settlement was negotiated-- we are initiating a full schedule of informational meetings for HSTA members. All of the documents will be available on line and at the informational meetings.
Wil Okabe, President
PS -- Below you will see Information sessions for ALL MEMBERS:
Chapter Date Time Place -- ALL MEMBERS
- Honolulu May 07 3:00 – 5:30 PM Kaimuki High School
- Honolulu May 10 3:00 - 6:00 PM McKinley High School
- Honolulu May 10 3:00 - 5:30 PM Kaiser High School
- Honolulu May 11 3:00 - 5:30 PM Kalani High School
- Honolulu May 14 3:00 - 5:30 PM Roosevelt High School
- Honolulu May 15 3:00 - 5:30 PM Farrington High School
Central May 07 3:30 - 5:30 PM Moanalua High School
- Central May 08 3:30 – 5:30 PM Waialua High School
- Central May 09 3:30 - 5:30 PM Aiea High School
- Central May 10 3:30 - 5:30 PM Leilehua High School
- Central May 14 3:30 - 5:30 PM Radford High School
- Central May 14 3:30 - 5:30 PM Mililani High School
- Leeward May 07 3:00 - 5:30 PM Ilima Intermediate School
- Leeward May 08 3:00 - 5:30 PM Nanakuli High/Intermediate School
- Leeward May 09 3:30 - 5:30 PM Kapolei High School
Building I room 106
- Leeward May 09 3:30 - 5:30 PM Waipahu High School
- Leeward May 10 3:30 - 5:30 PM Waianae High School
- Leeward May 10 3:00 - 5:30 PM Pearl City Cultural Center
- Windward May 10 3:30 - 5:30 PM Kailua Intermediate School
- Windward May 11 3:30 - 5:30 PM Kailua Intermediate School
- Windward May 14 3:30 - 5:30 PM Castle High School
- Windward May 15 3:30 - 5:30 PM Hauula Elementary School
- Maui May 07 3:30 - 5:30 PM King Kekaulike High School
- Maui May 08 3:30 - 5:30PM Lahainaluna High School
- Maui May 09 3:30 - 5:30 PM Hana High/Elementary School
- Maui May 10 4:30 - 6:30 PM Baldwin High School
- Maui May 14 3:30 - 5:30 PM Maui High School
- Molokai May 07 3:30 - 5:30 PM Molokai High School
- Kauai May 07 3:30 - 5:30 PM Waimea High School
- Kauai May 09 3:30 - 5:30 PM Kauai High School
- Kauai May 11 3:00 – 4:00 PM Kapaa High School
- Hilo May 07 4:00 - 6:00 PM Waiakea High School
- Hilo May 08 4:00 - 6:00 PM Laupahoehoe High School Band Room
- Hilo May 09 4:00 - 6:00 PM Keaau High School
- Hilo May 10 4:00 - 6:00 PM Hilo Intermediate School
- Hilo May 14 4:00 - 6:00 PM Ka'u High School
- Hilo May 15 4:30 -6:30 PM Keonepoko Elementary School
- Hamakua May 10 4:00 - 6:00 PM Honoka'a High School
- Kona May 07 4:30 - 6:30 PM Konawaena High School
- Kona May 14 4:30 - 6:30 PM Kealakehe Intermediate School
- Kohala May 15 3:30 – 6:30 PM Kohala High School