CIVIL UNION BILLS UP FOR HEARING IN HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
(Click here for the hearing notice)
SB 232 SD1 Relating to Civil Unions is scheduled for hearing next week Tuesday. In addition to this bill, another civil union bill (HB 1453 Relating to Legal Relationships) will also be heard. The members of the House Judiciary committee need to hear from you today with your strong reasons for opposition. Click here for talking points.
The hearing will probably go long, so be prepared.
HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
- DATE: Tuesday, February 8, 2011
- TIME: 2:15 p.m.
- PLACE: Auditorium
What is interesting, is that in that same hearing, a bill to give religious institutions protection from being forced to solemnize same-sex "marriages" and/or civil union relationships are also scheduled. (You can read the bill here.)
We are asking you to do five things:
- Submit testimony opposing both SB 232 SD1 and HB 1453 to JUDtestimony@capitol.hawaii.gov.
- Submit testimony supporting HB 1244 relating to solemnization to JUDtestimony@capitol.hawaii.gov.
- Call the members of the House Judiciary Committee below and ask them to OPPOSE SB 232 SD1 and HB 1453 but SUPPORT HB 1244. Please be civil and stick to the talking points.
- Ask 10 people to do the same thing.
- Show up at the hearing (and bring 2-3 friends with you) wearing your white shirts.
COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
(Click here to send testimony to Judiciary Committee)
- Rep. Gilbert S.C. Keith-Agaran, Chair | Phone: (808) 586-6210
- Rep. Karl Rhoads, Vice Chair | Phone: (808) 586-6180
- Rep. Tom Brower | Phone: (808) 586-8520
- Rep. Rida T.R. Cabanilla | Phone: (808) 586-6080
- Rep. Mele Carroll | Phone: (808) 586-6790
- Rep. Robert N. Herkes | Phone: (808) 586-8400
- Rep. Ken Ito | Phone: (808) 586-8470
- Rep. George R. Fontaine | Phone: (808) 586-8525
- Rep. Sylvia Luke | Phone: (808) 586-8530
- Rep. Barbara C. Marumoto | Phone: (808) 586-6130
- Rep. Angus L.K. McKelvey | Phone: (808) 586-6160
- Rep. Hermina M. Morita | Phone: (808) 586-8435
- Rep. Blake Oshiro | Phone: (808) 586-6340
- Rep. Joseph M. Souki | Phone: (808) 586-9444
- Rep. Cynthia Thielen | Phone: (808) 586-6480
- Rep. Clift Tsuji | Phone: (808) 586-8480