Sunday, June 23, 2024
Hawai'i Free Press

Current Articles | Archives

Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Teachers Unions Oppose Teacher Accountability Standards in Common Core
By NCPA @ 5:21 PM :: 5289 Views :: Education K-12, Labor

Teachers Unions Oppose Teacher Accountability Standards in Common Core

NCPA November 12, 2014

Proposed reforms to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) threaten teacher accountability, argue Research Associate Helm MacNeil Dobbins and Senior Research Fellow Lloyd Bentsen in a report from the National Center for Policy Analysis.

Common Core is a set of national standards that individual states can adopt, outlining what students should know at the end of each grade. While the vast majority of states have adopted the standards, Indiana and Pennsylvania made headlines after withdrawing from the program. Alabama and Arizona are currently trying to withdraw, and Texas, Alaska, Nebraska and Virginia have not adopted the standards at all.

The CCSS are controversial for a number of reasons, including allegations that the program is a product of federal overreach. But lately, opposition to the CCSS has come from teachers' unions, who are trying to remove its teacher accountability provisions. As Dobbins and Bentsen explain, teacher evaluations are tied to student outcomes on CCSS exams, and those whose students do not succeed on the exams can be rated "ineffective." Student performance is responsible for 40 percent of a teacher's rating, while the other 60 percent comes from classroom observations. Unions have objected to these accountability standards:

  • At their national convention, the American Federation of Teachers argued for rewriting the standards and removing the testing measurements that link teacher accountability to student performance.
  • President of the National Education Association Eskelsen Garcia has called value-added measures the "mark of the devil."
  • Tennessee union leaders have objected to the teacher evaluation portion of the CCSS and have filed a lawsuit on those grounds.

Dobbins and Bentsen contend that student performance and teacher accountability should be linked, writing that removing value-added accountability measures will only hurt students.

Source: Helm MacNeil Dobbins and Lloyd Bentsen, "A Hidden Cost of Common Core: Teacher Accountability," National Center for Policy Analysis, November 12, 2014.


TEXT "follow HawaiiFreePress" to 40404

Register to Vote


Aloha Pregnancy Care Center


Antonio Gramsci Reading List

A Place for Women in Waipio

Ballotpedia Hawaii

Broken Trust

Build More Hawaiian Homes Working Group

Christian Homeschoolers of Hawaii

Cliff Slater's Second Opinion

DVids Hawaii


Fix Oahu!

Frontline: The Fixers

Genetic Literacy Project

Grassroot Institute

Hawaii Aquarium Fish Report

Hawaii Aviation Preservation Society

Hawaii Catholic TV

Hawaii Christian Coalition

Hawaii Cigar Association

Hawaii ConCon Info

Hawaii Debt Clock

Hawaii Defense Foundation

Hawaii Family Forum

Hawaii Farmers and Ranchers United

Hawaii Farmer's Daughter

Hawaii Federation of Republican Women

Hawaii History Blog

Hawaii Jihadi Trial

Hawaii Legal News

Hawaii Legal Short-Term Rental Alliance

Hawaii Matters

Hawaii Military History

Hawaii's Partnership for Appropriate & Compassionate Care

Hawaii Public Charter School Network

Hawaii Rifle Association

Hawaii Shippers Council

Hawaii Together


Hiram Fong Papers

Homeschool Legal Defense Hawaii

Honolulu Navy League

Honolulu Traffic

House Minority Blog

Imua TMT

Inouye-Kwock, NYT 1992

Inside the Nature Conservancy

Inverse Condemnation

July 4 in Hawaii

Land and Power in Hawaii

Lessons in Firearm Education

Lingle Years

Managed Care Matters -- Hawaii

Missile Defense Advocacy

MIS Veterans Hawaii

NAMI Hawaii

National Parents Org Hawaii

NFIB Hawaii News

NRA-ILA Hawaii


OHA Lies

Opt Out Today

Patients Rights Council Hawaii

Practical Policy Institute of Hawaii

Pritchett Cartoons

Pro-GMO Hawaii

Rental by Owner Awareness Assn

Research Institute for Hawaii USA

Rick Hamada Show

RJ Rummel

School Choice in Hawaii

Talking Tax

Tax Foundation of Hawaii

The Real Hanabusa

Time Out Honolulu

Trustee Akina KWO Columns

West Maui Taxpayers Association

What Natalie Thinks

Whole Life Hawaii