News Release from Office of Representative Andria Tupola, August 29, 2016
What: TOWN HALL MEETING: Kolekole Pass
When: Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 Time: 7:00-8:00pm
Where: Waihona School Cafeteria
89-195 Farrington Hwy, Wai‘anae, HI 96792
Panel of Guests Speakers:
· Representative Tulsi Gabbard, U.S. House of Representatives, District 2
· Colonel Stephen E. Dawson, Commander, U.S. Army Garrison, Hawaii
· Dr. Daniel Brush, Deputy Director of Emergency Services, U.S. Army Garrison, Hawaii
· Commander Thomas M. Gory, Chief Staff Officer, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
· Victor Flint, Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC)
· Vern Miyagi, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, State of Hawaii
· Melvin N. Kaku, Director, Department of Emergency Management, City and County of Honolulu
· Major Sean Naito, Honolulu Police Department
The panel of guest speakers will address the newly signed memorandum of understanding (MOU) regarding civilian use of Kolekole Pass in emergency situations. They will also offer insight into the background of the MOU, including the benefits to the state and the role each stakeholder plays in the agreement. Further information will be given on the MOU activation process and future steps to ensure the continued successful use of Kolekole Pass as a viable emergency access route.
“This is the only other road physically built out of our community aside from Farrington Highway and it must be regularly maintained for the safety of our community. We need to have these important conversations now in preparations for natural disasters or emergencies that may block Farrington Highway" said Representative Andria Tupola.