Champion for the Westside
News Release from Tupola Campaign
HONOLULU, HAWAII - Former Representative, Andria Tupola announced today that she will be running for City Council District 1.
“It was an honor to be a Representative on the State level. I love my community and look forward to learning more about city issues and stepping into public office once again where I can make a more effective difference” said Tupola.
"In a community such as the Leeward Coast, where many issues need ongoing attention, many are still mentioning the need for a leader like Andria Tupola--someone that takes action, gets involved, isn't afraid to do what it takes to get the job done. and empowers the community as a whole to make a positive change,” said Micah Doane, founder of Protectors of Paradise.
Tupola just completed her 22nd community clean up with close to 100 volunteers and removed 15 abandoned cars from the community. Over the past 6 years she addressed community safety, crime and homelessness with specific initiatives:
- Coordinated regular community volunteer events that have removed hundreds of abandoned cars clearing the way to safer streets
- Created an under age truancy council
- Implemented the pedestrian flag program to help drivers better see people in crosswalks and decrease the number of pedestrian accidents on Oahu’s west coast
- Helped establish the first community court in Waianae.
- Organized a community mural project on a 3,000 square foot wall in Nanakuli to deter vandalism and decrease crime.
- Participated in legacy checkpoints put on by Honolulu Police Department
- Organized community outreach efforts that join food distribution with financial literacy classes
- Worked with HPD to shut down dangerous and drug-ridden encampments and empowered houseless individuals to establish their own nonprofit and relocate.
- Led the homeless point in time efforts from 2015-2018
- Worked with local businesses to expedite permitting times to allow laborers back on the line
# # #
SA: Andria Tupola to run for Honolulu City Council, but still has eyes on governor’s seat
HNN: Republican Andria Tupola launches run for City Council while eyeing governor’s seat