2023 Honolulu City Lights opening night set for Saturday, December 2nd
News release from City and County of Honolulu Nov 7, 2023
HONOLULU – The City and County of Honolulu and Friends of Honolulu City Lights are reminding residents across Oʻahu that the opening night festivities for the 2023 Honolulu City Lights – including the tree lighting ceremony, Public Workers’ Electric Light Parade and City Lights block party – are scheduled for Saturday, December 2, 2023.
The month-long celebration of the Honolulu City Lights kicks-off with a block party at 4 p.m. on Punchbowl Street and across the Frank F. Fasi Civic Grounds. At 6:30 p.m., as the Electric Light Parade passes Honolulu Hale, Mayor Rick Blangiardi will illuminate Honolulu Hale’s holiday tree and the lights and displays decorating the grounds.
The Public Workers’ Electric Light Parade will be held on S. King Street and will proceed past Honolulu Hale to the end at Kawaiahaʻo Street. Decorated vehicles will park at the end of the parade for public viewing until 8:15 p.m.
Due to the parade, there will be traffic detours, street closures, and parking restrictions throughout Chinatown and Downtown Honolulu starting at 1 p.m. King Street will reopen progressively after the parade, except for the section of King Street from Punchbowl to the Alapaʻi/South/King Street intersection, which will remain closed until 10 p.m. for street sweeping and crowd control barrier removal.
TheBus routes affected by the parade will be detoured. Please go to www.thebus.org or call (808) 848-5555 for route information.
For parade information including the full list of street closures, visit (LINK) or call the Department of Transportation Services at (808)-768-8369.
Opening Night Festivities – Saturday, December 2, 2023
- City Lights Block Party – Punchbowl Street and across the Frank F. Fasi Civic Grounds – 4 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony at Honolulu Hale – begins at 6 p.m.
- Public Workers’ Electric Light Parade (from A‘ala Park to Honolulu Hale) – begins at 6 p.m.
- City and County of Honolulu Employee Christmas Tree Exhibition in the Honolulu Hale Courtyard – 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Wreath Contest Exhibition in Lane Gallery inside Honolulu Hale – 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Skygate Concert on the Frank F. Fasi Civic Center Grounds - 7 pm - 10 pm.
- Photo with Santa (located inside Mission Memorial Auditorium) – 7:30 p.m. -10 p.m.
All holiday festivities will take place on the Frank F. Fasi Civic Grounds at Honolulu Hale – located at 530 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96813. For more information on ongoing activities throughout the month of December, visit http://hnlcitylights.org/