by Andrew Walden
Barack Obama’s election victory removes the mental asterisk when one tells a black child, “you can grow up to be anything you want—even President of the United States.” This change will have a lasting impact on American society in ways which could ultimately reduce black Americans’ reliance on Democrat dependency politics. For now it means that as President, Barack Obama will have a built-in core of supporters who are unlikely to be shaken by Obama administration responses to any world or domestic crisis.
Analysis of internals in the polling just prior to Election Day, show that support swung to Obama from voters over age 65—many of whom have lost as much as 40% of their retirement stock portfolios this year. As the stock market went down, Obama’s numbers went up. This was an election driven by fears over the economy. Without regard or consideration for race, these voters do what voters usually do in such situations--they elected the party out of power.
Many of Obama’s key advisors personally engineered the subprime mortgage debacle—a fact downplayed by the Democrat media. The bailout bill recently passed by Congress gives massive administrative power and leeway over to the terms of mortgages to the incoming administration. The same crowd which created the crisis has been empowered by the crisis.
Obama’s personal history leads from non-racial or multi-racial Hawai`i to racially charged Chicago machine politics. One early item on the ‘post-racial’ President Obama’s agenda will be passage of the Akaka Bill. The Akaka Bill is racial politics used as a venue for pork and self-enrichment. Just as racial politics have damaged the residents of Obama’s home district in Chicago, the Akaka Bill’s worst damage will be done to the native Hawaiians is purports to benefit.
Obama’s proposed carbon credits trading system will result in millions transferred from genuine energy providers to so-called ‘alternative energy’ providers—many set up solely for the purpose of collecting government subsidies. Billions of dollars would be given to Russia if the discredited Kyoto protocol carbon emission standards are adopted. The one exception to any clean energy plan will be nuclear power—it actually works so it must be rejected. The result will be higher electricity costs and the elimination of coal-fired electric generation —something that Obama pledged to bring about in a long-suppressed January 17, 2008 interview with the Editorial Board of the San Francisco Chronicle. But on the bright side, OHA may get millions in subsidies to open a geothermal plant at Wao Kele O Puna.
Here are some other coming attractions:
- The Democrat-controlled Congress will likely reinstate the recently lapsed ban on offshore oil drilling. If Republican Senators are smart enough, they will filibuster this move. But failing that, no offshore drilling means Americans will continue to transfer $700 billion per year to hostile foreign oil producers.
- Amnesty for illegal immigrants. The resulting new voters could cement Democrat majorities in several states. Any amnesty plan will begin a new wave of illegal immigration.
- Nationalized health care. Soon America will be emulating the failed Hawai`i model of health care. Canadians now flocking to border hospitals in Buffalo, Detroit, and Seattle to escape their own failed socialized health system will have nowhere to turn for medical care. Everybody will have an equal right to wait in long lines for rationed care.
- Higher taxes. Will the cut off point be $250,000? $200,000? $150,000? $120,000? Whatever the cut-off point, America’s most productive citizens and professionals will be penalized for their success. Tax money will go to line the pockets of the politically connected who claim to be helping the poor. The economy will shrink as productive people are discouraged from achievement.
- Like John McCain, Barack Obama actually claims to believe in global warming. Tightened US environmental restrictions which treat CO2 as if it were pollution will drive out more manufacturing jobs and grow the US trade deficit which enriches and empowers China.
- If Obama is actually foolish enough to reopen NAFTA--as he has promised--Canadians will demand to be released from their commitment to sell all their oil to the United States. This will further expand our dependence on hostile oil-producing nations.
- Obama’s record with the Chicago Annenberg Challenge suggests he will use federal resources to reinforce the role of universities and primary and secondary schools as leftist indoctrination centers.
- Check-card ‘elections’ will allow union thugs to intimidate workers into signing up. Unions will win control of workplaces without a secret ballot election. Early targets will include Wal-Mart, McDonalds and other large companies where workers have been resistant to organizing attempts. The result: more captive voters, small businesses closed, and union organizers serving as a harassment squad on behalf of organized crime and against political enemies. This will face court challenge because of its patently anti-democratic nature.
- Obama’s proposed Global Poverty Act of 2007 (S-2433) would double US foreign aid, thus reinforcing the funds flowing to corrupt third world dictators and improving their ability to oppress their own populations. This will also be a boon to Swiss bankers.
Many members of the Armed Forces identify the election result as a national rejection of their service. Contacts with military families, if typical, show that within hours of the election, thousands of career military personnel have already begun planning to leave the service. Reenlistment rates will fall off sharply. This process will be accelerated if Obama chooses to send US forces into Darfur or other places where the US has no direct national interest. Inheriting two wars, Obama has campaigned on a pledge to sharply reduce military spending and abandon key systems such as missile defense technology. Political correctness will likely be promoted and “don’t ask-don’t tell” will be likely abolished in favor of a policy of allowing openly gay personnel.
The fine job done by our troops--over the objection of Barack Obama and other Democrats--means that it is probably too late to resuscitate al-Qaeda in Iraq. But Iranian-backed Iraqi Shia forces are completely capable of re-starting their war against Iraqi Sunnis. Combined with Iranian nuclear ambitions this is a quick recipe for a disaster in the Middle East.
In spite of this reality, Obama has pledged to withdraw US troops on a timetable with little regard of the outcome on the ground.
Iran will get nuclear weapons unless Israel chooses to act. Islamist efforts against the United States will continue to be two-pronged: political Islamists will demand more special rights for Islam in the United States violent Islam will carry out more terror attacks in order to test our will. Obama’s response to political Islam? In “The Audacity of Hope” (p 261) Obama writes: “In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality…I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”
Al-Qaeda tested Bill Clinton with the first 1993 World Trade Center attack. Clinton failed the test and the result was eight years of Islamic war on America. George Bush was tested by the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Bush passed the test and liberated Afghanistan and Iraq from radical Islam and dictatorship. If Obama is similarly tested, his campaign rhetoric suggests he will react as Clinton did.
Vice-President-Elect Joe Biden told several late October campaign rallies: "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.
"I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate…And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."
The morning after Election Day, Russia announced it was deploying missiles in Europe in opposition to the deployment of US-NATO anti-missile systems aimed at protecting Europe from Iran. In an 87-minute speech, Russian President Dimitri Medvedev did not mention Barack Obama even once.